If your landlord wants you to leave

mould tenants

Landlords in Ireland have to follow certain procedures before asking you to leave rented accommodation. How easily you can be evicted by your landlord depends on the type of tenancy you have, and how long you have been in the accommodation.

Most private residential tenancies are covered by the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 (pdf). A private residential tenancy means a tenancy that is agreed privately between a landlord and a tenant. Tenants living in their landlord’s homes and tenants who are renting from a local authority or a social housing organisation (e.g. voluntary housing association, or student accommodation let by a recognised educational institution) are not covered by this legislation. See the ‘Rent a Room Scheme’ for more information on tenants living in their landlord’s homes and see Notice to Quit and Eviction for more information on the rights of local authority tenants.

If you qualify for Rent Supplement, you are probably renting from a private landlord, so you would be covered by these rules.

If you find yourself in a situation where your landlord asks you to leave your rented accommodation, it might prompt you to consider the option of buying a property. Purchasing a property offers a sense of stability and control over your living situation, free from the uncertainties of renting.

Whether you’re a first-time buyer or looking to invest, navigating the property market can be daunting. However, with careful planning and research, you can find the right property that meets your needs and budget. Many resources are available to assist you in this process, from online listings to real estate agents specializing in your desired area.

Exploring different neighborhoods and property types can help you narrow down your options and find the perfect place to call home. When you’re ready to take the next step in your homeownership journey, you can » view page for available properties and start turning your dream of owning a home into a reality.

There may be a number of situations where a landlord wants a tenant to leave. You can read more about these situations under ‘Terminating a Tenancy’ below.


Terminating a tenancy

Your landlord must always give you notice when asking you to leave. (Read more under ‘Notice periods’ and ‘Notice of termination’, below.) Landlords can ask tenants to leave without giving a reason during the first six months of a tenancy. Landlords can terminate a tenancy that has lasted between six months and four years (a Part 4 tenancy) only in the following circumstances:

* After 3 and ½ years.
* If the tenant does not comply with the obligations of the tenancy.
* If the property is no longer suited to the tenants’ needs (e.g. overcrowded).
* If the landlord needs the property for him/herself or for an immediate family member.
* If the landlord intends to sell the property.
* If the landlord intends to refurbish the property.
* If the landlord plans to change the business use of the property (e.g. turn it into offices).

You should note that if your landlord evicts you for a specific reason and subsequently does not carry out the intention (e.g. to live there him/herself) you can report him/her to the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB). The PRTB will investigate your claim and take further action as appropriate.

Notice periods

The length of notice depends on the length of the tenancy.
Length of tenancy Notice by landlord
Less than 6 months 4 weeks (28 days)
6 months to a year 5 weeks (35 days)
1 – 2 years 6 weeks (42 days)
2 – 3 years 8 weeks (56 days)
3 – 4 years 12 weeks (84 days)
4 years or more 16 weeks (112 days)

Landlords can give less notice if the tenants are not keeping their obligations (28 days) or if there is serious anti-social behaviour (7 days). Anti-social behaviour includes violence, threats or intimidation as well as any persistent behaviour that interferes with neighbours.

Landlords and tenants can agree shorter notice periods but they can only do so at the time they decide to terminate the tenancy. It is illegal to agree a shorter notice period at the start of the tenancy. Landlords and tenants can also agree longer notice periods but the maximum is 70 days when the tenancy has lasted less than six months.

Notice of termination

If your landlord wants you to leave they must serve you with a notice of termination. In order to be valid a notice of termination must

* be in writing.
* be signed by the landlord (or an authorised agent).
* specify the date of termination.
* state the reason for termination (if a tenancy has lasted more than six months).
* state that any issue with the notice must be referred to the PRTB within 28 days from the receipt of the notice.

The notice can be posted to you, be given to you in person or left for you at the property.

Illegal eviction

If your landlord locks you out or physically evicts you, you may be able to apply for an injunction to force the landlord to let you back into the property or you may apply to the PRTB to do so on your behalf. Similarly if your landlord cuts off water, business gas and electricity, you may be able to take legal action to restore the supply. In either case, this is a big step and you should get legal advice and assistance before you proceed. Your landlord cannot remove your possessions from your flat or house without a court order. If your landlord is going to take you to court, you should get advice about your situation from Threshold, a Citizens Information Centre or a solicitor.

Where to apply

The Private Residential Tenancies Board is an organisation set up by the Government. One of its functions is to mediate disputes between landlords and tenants in private rented accommodation. They also provide information on tenants and landlord’s rights including a leaflet on ‘Terminating a Tenancy’
Private Residential Tenancies Board,
Canal House,
Canal Road,
Dublin 6.
Tel: (01) 8882960
Fax: (01) 8882819
E-mail: [email protected]

Threshold is a charitable organisation that provides advice, information and support to all citizens on housing rights in Ireland. The organisation has three national offices (Dublin, Galway and Cork). Contact them for free, confidential advice and information at:
21 Stoneybatter,
Dublin 7,
Tel: (01) 678 6096

Free information and advice on housing is also available from any one of the many Citizens Information Centres nationwide.